Sunday, August 29, 2010

Come and Get Me Too

Yesterday, I spent the day at the beach. As uninviting as the north-eastern Atlantic is, something about a day at the beach with good company is something that must be done every summer, in my opinion. I didn't go in the water; spent most of my time frolicking on the beach, burying and getting buried in the sand, flying a kite, and playing some version of volleyball. It was definitely the most fun I've had at the beach in a while. After the sun had set and night the evening darkened, looking out into the horizon, we could see ships sailing by, most likely cruise ships. As I stared out into the sea, I began to wonder about the people on those ships, and the ships themselves.

That ship is traveling all over the world, on a journey right then as I attempted to hit a volleyball which caused my non-athletic arm to swell. Yet, there I was, on this shore, not even attempting to leave. The lines to a Frank Sinatra song came to mind at that moment. "Somewhere, beyond the seas, somewhere waiting for me. My lover stands on golden sands, and watches the ships that go sailing." In my mind, a lover need not be a person, but just something to love, and there is definitely not a dearth of something new to love with in this world. I recently had a conversation with someone very close to me about moving out of New York City and as much as I love this city, I would love to live somewhere else for some time if situations permit. After all, NY survived for hundreds of years before I came along, and it will survive without me too, and I can always come back whenever I feel like watching a Broadway show and having falafels at 4am. At that moment, those ships called out to me, "Come away with me Pratty. Let's go find things to fall in love with." Before I could answer that call, I had to protect my head from the volleyball coming towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment