Saturday, April 30, 2011

Princes, Ballgowns, and Reality

Like all little girls, I grew up watching Disney movies where the pretty girl meets a handsome prince and they live happily ever after, and like any other innocent little girl, I believed these things really happened. Yesterday, a prince married a pretty girl in the hopes of living happily ever after and over two billion people watched them do this. (Yes, I too watched the highlights, and cried.)Why? Why is a love story so much more interesting when a prince is involved? Is it all Disney's fault?

I always thought that people fell in love and spent the rest of their lives together and nothing ever came between them; life has taught me otherwise. Different things like bodies of water and fear of commitment seem to plague relationships. How come Disney never mentioned these? They just stopped at the pretty dresses and handsome princes. I demand that I get what I was promised: happily ever after. A handsome prince wouldn't hurt either, only because unlimited funds I don't need to earn sounds really wonderful given my current life involves endless hours spent either at work or doing homework and the mountain of student loan debt.

This post is just a rant. My thoughts are way too scattered right now for me to be coherent, but I felt like writing just to express them.

No comments:

Post a Comment